The Boston Spa, Wetherby & Villages Green Group was set up with three objectives:
- To reduce our carbon emissions
- To increase biodiversity
- To reduce waste and increase recycling in our communities
Our aim is to help the environment in our local area, but hopefully other areas can benefit from some of our ideas.
We have so far set up 5 community action groups to focus on specific areas, namely:
- Protecting and increasing Tree Cover
- Making Cycling safer
- Reducing Waste and increasing Recycling
- Creating Wildlife Corridors
- Reducing Food Waste
See tabs above for each group’s pages and blogs/news.
We also have two developing projects:
- Creating a clean river environment
- A community repair shop / café
Every week in Boston Spa, Wetherby and Villages, we are getting new members joining us who would like to get involved in some aspect of protecting our local environment, reducing our carbon waste, increasing biodiversity or reducing waste. We are now up to 155 members and growing!
Next Group Meeting
If you share our desire to improve our local environment and do what we can personally and as a community to reduce our carbon footprint, please come along to our next open meeting, which are held bi-monthly in Boston Spa Methodist Church.
The next meeting is on Wednesday 6 October 2021 at 7.30pm.
- Eco Fair/Green Weekend, Saturday 2nd OctoberWETHERBY METHODIST CHURCH, BANK STREET & WETHERBY TOWN HALL, MARKET SQUARE 10am to 4pm…
- What is Climate Change?Our climate is changing. Every time you travel by car, charge your mobile phone,…
- Yorkshire Building Society, Wetherby now collecting for TerracycleNow that COVID lockdowns have been somewhat loosened, Yorkshire Building Society, Wetherby are now…
- Create and enjoy a wildlife-friendly, and sustainable ‘grow your own’ gardenHere are our 8 tips for creating your own wildlife-friendly garden, one in which…
- Close the Loop & become Plastic FreeAs we hear more and more about climate change, we are asking local businesses…
Click here to see All Posts.
Can you pledge?
Did you know 75% of a household carbon footprint is from the energy we use, the food we eat (& waste), how we travel and what we use in our day to day lives. Here are our ideas on 2 easy changes you can make to help reduce your carbon footprint:
- Can you minimise your use of single use plastics – try 3 ways of being consistently aware of reducing this type of waste, eg:
- take your plastic boxes to the butchers, so don’t use plastic
- try a new product at a refill shop ie shampoo bars
- stop using cling film
- say no to polystyrene, plastic straws and stirrers
- Can you use peat free compost – read more here
- take a look at the packaging and understand if it really is peat free
- try and find out what bedding plants have been grown in if you are purchasing
Contact Webmaster Only
To contact a Green Group sub-group, please contact them on their respective pages (see links at the top of this page).
Please Contact the Webmaster if about this site or you are a group leader and need help.